Monday, January 23, 2006

What Job Saw...


I just wanted to share a little treasure from Job that I happened upon a little while ago. In the midst of universal derision, immense personal loss, physical deterioration and mental anguish, he says:
"Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh? Oh that my words were now written ! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." Job 19:22-27
This foreshadowing of Christ's coming and the Resurrection of the Body is astounding. This is the 'fool's hope' that is only vaguely hinted at in the Old Testament, and totally foreign to the greatest of the early Greek philosophers and poets. This proclamation must have come down like a hammer, breaking all around him into pieces - for who could really comprehend such a seemingly presumptuous (if not insane) assertion? And yet Job remains unmoved. His innocence and faith preserve hom from the blow that his hearers no doubt felt, but did not understand. I can just imagine old Job waiting patiently for what seemed like ages down in Sheol, and saying upon Christ's glorious arrival: "Praised be my suffering Lord! I knew you'd come." And that is what I hope to say when He comes again.
(To hear G.K.C. say all this and more ten times better, enter here.

2 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Whiskey said...

You know, the Bible's amazing. I've been reading Genesis for comps, and I'm continually struck by how God is acting in the hearts of these men as they struggle in a hostile world.

I've long enjoyed Chesterton's take on Job. I'll try to find a link and post it.

 
At 1/24/2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Whiskey said...

Here we go

 

Post a Comment

<< Home