Thursday, February 02, 2006

On Guard!

Tonight I have taken a major step, nay, a lunge into a world that embraces agility, skill, and the likes of Errol Flynn. Now I do not claim to possess any of these, nor can I claim any resemblance to our swash-buckling hero (by the way, what is "swash-buckling" exactly?), but there is a ray of hope that I may at least be able to "perry a riposte" or know the difference between an 'epee' and a 'sabre'. I must admit, it took very little arm-twisting to get my clumsy self in the door of F.I.T., The Fencing Institute of Texas - an establishment far less intimidating than it sounds. Once inside, one immediately noticed several 'fencers', who looked more like spacemen dancing about like marionettes on a string. O Contrare! These were really 10-13 year olds, most of whom could probably whip the tar out of me had I donned on a similar space suit and foil. Luckily, the kindly instructor assigned to our little group broke us in gently. As I was the only newbie, there were several moments when the feeling that one was making an utter fool of oneself was nearly over-powering. For some reason, the simple 'fencing position' stance seemed to elude me all night, as there is something unnerving about keeping your left foot perpendicular to the rest of the body, but I must say that there were fleeting moments when I almost felt, dare I say it? - debonnaire. Especially when it came to "The Lunge". Now this is one of the most basic aggressive moves in sword-play, and it is one that improves upon closer acquaintance. In fact, the lunge and I became friendly during a little sparring match between a friend and me, and I found it faithful. Therefore, I have decided that I will use every possible opportunity to practice this important maneuver: When a student of mine asks for a stapler, for instance, I will not merely pick it up and hand it over - no, where is the drama, the assertion of authority, in that? I will grasp the stapler, locking my forefinger and thumb around the cartridge, assume the fencing position, making sure every fiber of my being is in the 12:00 position (except of course that darn left foot), and LUNGE at him with machine in hand, measuring my attack so that the front end of it just touches his nose. What restraint! What a portrait of glowing grace and good will! Do not think me ignorant of the fact that there are just some things you do not and must not 'lunge' with - pens for example, and forks....broomsticks also might pose a problem; hence, I will regulate myself to empty water bottles, erasers, string cheese and the like. In this way, I hope to inspire all those who meet me to join this wonderful sport, where they need not be afraid to 'perry a thrust' and learn to buckle a swash or swash a buckle with the best of them!

4 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Whiskey said...

That's great! I think your resolution is perfect.

 
At 2/03/2006 10:31 AM, Blogger lord_sebastian_flyte said...

I approve any project involving fencing, marionettes, and men in space suits.

 
At 2/03/2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Flannery said...

"Swash-buckling" is when you rush into a room, lunge down to your feet, and quickly buckle your shoes. It must all be done in one fluid movement.

Or at least, that's was some linguists maintain. In fact, "swash-buckling" is an onomatopoeic word, stemming from certain old cavaliers who would accompany their sweeping motions with an appropriate "swoosh" sound (if this seems unlikely, ladies, just cast your mind back to a little boy playing with a toy car, and you will remember that an essential part of this play is the realistic engine noises made by fluttering the lips and growling.) The reason this "swoosh" noise is never mentioned in old books and poems is that it was so much second nature that everyone took it for granted. But the full word refers to an unlucky knight who rushed into a room, thereby imparting more motion to his pants (which he had forgotten to fasten) than was advisable, and only had time to gasp out, "Swash--buckle!" before disaster occured.

 
At 2/04/2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wikipedia, for what's it's worth...

Swashbuckler is a term that came about in the 16th century and was applied to rough, noisy and boastful swordsmen. To swash is to "swagger and swing about, making a lot of noise", and a buckler is a shield.

Just an andidote from your loving (and somewhat terrified) mother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home